Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Whoa!

So I've been dissassembling Windows 98 all today (doing research for an upcoming blog entry), and I just found evidence of something very surprising: Windows 9x spawns new processes (with CreateProcess) by forking! That's really surprising, if it's correct. I'm definitely going to investigate this, more.

Update:
*WHEW*

Been dissassembling Windows 98 (one particular part of it) for like 16 hours now, on some 4 hours of sleep. But I finally got the answer I'd been searching for. Anyway, it does not appear that Windows 98 spawns processes by forking (I'd initially thought so because you could trace a function call path in the dissassembly from CreateProcess to the code that gets executed early in the new process, but it appears that the latter is just a multipurpose function).

No comments: