I'm pretty sure that a while back I mentioned a particular Firefox plugin called Feed Sidebar. It's a nice little RSS feed plugin that does exactly what I wanted an RSS plugin to do (and all others work differently). As such, I'm rather fond of it, and have been rather tolerant of its faults.
The particular fault I believe I discussed was that it leaked memory. With the ~15 RSS feeds I have on it set to update every 10 minutes, it leaked about 20 megs of memory per hour. While many would probably not find this to be a serious problem (e.g. 8 hours x 20 megs/hour = 160 megs leaked before shutting down for the day), as I tend to leave my computer running for weeks straight, this was a moderate annoyance. Left on its own, Firefox would crash about every three days due to address space exhaustion (32-bit applications have a 2 gig address space, and fragmentation can reduce the amount actually allocatable below that; I was seeing it crash around 1.5 gigs). Much more frequently, I'd start World of Warcraft and my computer would grind to a halt, as Windows really, really doesn't like it when you get > 90% memory usage (up until a month or two ago, when I have 4 gigs of RAM), and I'd have to manually restart Firefox at that point.
However, a couple weeks ago the problem suddenly become much worse. Immediately after installing Firefox 3.5, I noticed that it was now hemorrhaging about 150 megs/hour, more than seven times as fast as in 3.0 and earlier (in fact, at first I thought it was that 3.5 was just unstable, as it crashed about every day; then I noticed that it was allocating massive amounts of memory). After verifying both that this was consistent/reproducible and that this was indeed due to the particular addon, I e-mailed the author again, with my new data.
Apparently that got a pretty quick response. A couple days later he sent me a test build he wanted me to try. After some looking, he'd come to believe that there was a bug in Firefox that was leaking SQLite resources; resources that should have been freed when an SQLite connection was closed were being leaked (it was not clear from his e-mail whether this was a new bug with 3.5, or just that the quantity of resources leaked was greater in 3.5). This test build included a workaround for it (presumably he saved the connection instead of creating a new connection every time it updates the RSS feeds, but he didn't say).
This seemed to work well. After installing it, I immediately noticed that it was not hemorrhaging memory like it did before (previously it was leaking about 25 megs each time the RSS feeds were updated, which was now gone). Rather, after a couple of days of collecting data, I concluded that it was now only leaking 1-2 megs each update (about 10 megs/hour).
It's not clear yet whether this is true leakage (which would suggest that one leak was plugged but another remains) or that this is a side-effect of the workaround. It's conceivable that Firefox might delay freeing SQLite resources as long as a connection is in use; if he's indeed keeping an SQLite connection open the whole time, we could imagine that this "leak" is not a leak (lack of resource reclamation) so much as a deferral of resource reclamation. If this is the case, this should go away after Firefox fixes the SQLite connection leak and he goes back to creating a new connection on every update.
Incidentally, version 4.1 of Feed Sidebar was released today; this is the version I tried a test build of. After I've had more time to collect data I'll have to see if it's leaking the same amount as the test build, or if there have been further modifications.